Thursday, March 21, 2019

Hot Tub Removal

On the plus side, when we bought this house it came with a pool. BUT it also came with a nasty broken hot tub that I was pretty sure one of my kids would eventually fall into.

The old owner had already drilled holes in the bottom for drainage so there was no saving this thing. I called around and I was told it was going to cost $400 to have a company come out and remove it but then I realized, hey, I have a respirator and a sawzall. I can do this myself for the cost of a single dump fee!

***If you are going to do this, make sure that any power and/or water lines are disconnected. You don't want any nasty surprises (especially if you're standing in wet mushy mess that wouldn't mix well with electrical)***


Seriously, wear the respirator. Fiberglass is not something you want to be breathing.



Once I had the main cuts done I did have to bring in a sledgehammer and crowbar to help me break up the pieces along with my sawzall.



With all of the junk out of the way I was ready to start framing in the replacement floor. First I checked on what supports I already had in there but it turned out that I was close enough to just tie in to the existing structure (but I still added another anyway because I like to over engineer).


And voila, we have a flat deck! I still need to sand down the existing deck and stain the whole thing but it is now kid safe!


No comments:

Post a Comment