Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Reclaimed Reception Desk

This might be my favorite project to date! A friend of mine has worked in salons for a long time and she does amazing work. I started going to see her when my hair was in need of correction after a scary experience at a chain salon here in Reno. Luckily, she was able to fix everything and I've been a loyal customer now for several years. Anyway, this year she opened her own place and asked me to build her reception desk (also, check out Sanctuary Salon if you need an amazing salon experience in Reno! She didn't ask me to plug her business or anything but I'm serious, it's amazing)


The customer had requirements for the size and needed multiple counter heights. She also had some very cool 100 year old cedar barn wood salvaged from the local area that she was interested in using. Other than that she left the design pretty open and told me to go ahead and be creative with it. I built the desk surfaces similar to the desks I created for another local business (desk project) and the entire desk can be disassembled into 5 pieces (front, sides, and 2 desktops) for easier transport and moving. I kept the front design simple as the wood was so pretty to start with that I wanted it to still be the main focus.


The cedar itself I simply sealed but did not stain as the original color was already stunning. For the desktop stain I matched it to hues in the cedar to tie everything together.





Installing the reception desk in its new home was fun as it allowed me a sneak peak into how the salon was coming along. I am in love! The entire place has a reclaimed but very fresh feel about it and I'm so glad this new desk fit right in to welcome her clients into the space.


No comments:

Post a Comment